Two incidents this week that made me rethink some things:
1) One of my clients at the poverty law clinic that I volunteer at was offered this 'one shot deal' to get his charges dropped. I won't go into the specifics but basically all he needs to do is make a $100 charitable donation and then his charges are dropped. As soon as I saw that he was eligible for this program I thought, great, we just need to tell him, he'll make the donation, and I'll move onto my next case. When we actually told him this, he informed us that he couldn't afford to donate $100.
2) I had to stop by the clinic yesterday after hours. I saw somebody waiting outside, and after I punched in the door code to open the door, I stepped inside and asked him what I could do for him. Apparently he was late for an appointment to meet another law student (who's name I didn't recognize) so I asked him to wait while I went to see if I could track the student down. Yeah, I know, big deal right? Well, while this conversation was going on, I was standing inside the clinic while the client was still standing on the porch outside. And I'm ashamed to admit, but I almost closed the door on him (thus forcing him to continue waiting outside) while I went to go search for the student but luckily I didn't, and asked him to come inside out of the cold to wait.
I guess what bothered me about those two relatively insignificant incidents was that those little things I take for granted, like being able to afford $100 and knowing to step inside out of the cold while I wait for someone, is something that other people have to actively think about. I know $100 is not an insignificant sum, and I'm by no means rich, but it's still something I would be able to scrounge up. And what bothered me about that client who stopped by yesterday, was that he didn't even try to come inside (even though it was freezing outside) until I asked him to. It just seemed to me that he was used to not doing things until he was granted permission by others to do so....I don't know how else to describe it? Like he knew the clinic wasn't 'his place' and it wasn't 'his right' to come inside unless someone said it was okay.
I've always thought that I kinda knew what it meant to be poor. I mean, I sympathized with their situation even though I've never experienced abject poverty or having to live hand-to-mouth. I know that the odds for some people are stacked against them from the beginning. Like kids at inner schools who don't have the same quality of education, the guidance counsellors, the tutors, or the luxury to be able to participate in extra-curricular activities (because they need to work part-time) that wealthier students have. But I've really never put my mind to what it really MEANS to be poor. That the little things we take for granted and don't even put our minds to, can be a source of constant struggle for others. What must it be like for society to treat you as if you're almost invisible? Like the Wal-mart employees, fast food workers or any other person who works at a 'non-prestigous' job to support their family that you barely give a second glance when you encounter them? People who are used to being told 'no' from everyone - no, we can't offer you a job, no - the legal clinic doesn't have the resources to take your case, no - the welfare system is stretched as it is and can't give you more money so your kid can pursue those piano/hockey lessons that he/she wants.....what must it be like for them to deal with world and more importantly, what can we do to help?