Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Money doesn't buy happiness but it sure does buy alotta shoes

Have you ever been really happy? Just felt like everything in your life was going your way? Well, that's me right now. I'm about two months into my summer job & I realized I really like where I'm working. I always thought I'd hate working at a firm, but I'm pleasantly surprised to find that I actually like it there. Not that I plan to be there forever, but for now, I really like my colleagues & I love what I'm doing. I still can't believe people are paying me to do this - it's like reverse school, you learn something new everyday but someone's actually paying you for it.

Not that I've always felt this way. I really enjoyed my senior year at university & thought I'd never top that. Then I started working and was so miserable - I hated my job & most of my friends had moved away after graduation.

Then came law school. For the past two years, about every other day I'd look at my escalating debt & wonder if I had made the right choice to come back to school. Classes were so rough & I pretty much hated most of my classmates. Plus even though it was nice being back in Toronto, it was also weird in the sense that I was back in a place that was familiar filled with people who weren't.

But now, I realized I really did make the right choice. I love the practice of law, and the friends I've met along the way are making this the best summer ever. Though, I have stacks of unread newspapers & books piling up and I haven't turned on the TV in ages since between friends, work, & the gym, I'm never home. But each day, on my walk home, I just can't help feeling so content & lucky to be doing what I am.

I hope you all feel that either now, or one day too, no matter where you are or what you're doing.