So, I finally experienced my first full weekend of work last week. Not fun. We had a $250 million deal closing on Monday, and to be honest, we shouldn't have had to work THAT many hours but the client tripled the amount of work we had to do. Meaning, I was back at the office at 8:30am on Saturday, man, that really hurt. I'm not even at the office at 8:30 on a weekday.
The worst though, was when I came down with a major bug on Saturday. The same bug knocked one of the other articling students out of commission on Mon/Tues, along with yet another one on Wed/Thur. I had to come in to help out though, but by 11pm on Sunday, they finally sent me home because I was looking so ill, only to have me return on 8am on Monday. When I finally could take a sick day, I couldn't even get out of bed on Tuesday. I still have no idea how the heck I managed to work through something when I wasn't even functional until around Friday.
At least my brother took pity on me and did some of my errands. Of course, I got an email from him at 11:30pm on the Thursday preceding my "wonderful" weekend asking if I was dead, 'cause he couldn't reach me via my cell or office phone (I was working in a boardroom at the time.) I didn't get home until close to 1am, but that still wasn't as bad as the associate, who ended up pulling three all-nighters that week.
I have no idea how people can regularly do this for a living. I mean, I'm not even talking about the number of hours I worked, which contributed to making me so sick. I don't mind (as much) working late on a weekday. But to have to work an entire weekend, and then come back on Monday to face an entire week of work without even having had a break?!??
It's seriously time for me to stop procrastinating and start searching for a new job....