Just got back from Yuk Yuk's (the comedy club). It was pretty cool and very funny. There was a really funny rant from this guy about being a high school teacher. I'd repeat it but there'd be no way I could do it justice.
The past few days been a little hectic - you know it's bad when I've been eating out every day for the two weeks. Not that I don't like eating out, but I really prefer to cook & eat my own food. I normally only eat out if I don't have time to cook or if I'm going out with friends. It's been a little of both lately, I think I've already worked my way through all the Asian countries and now I'm making my way over to the cuisines of other continents......On the good side, I've managed to fulfill all my cravings (and I do mean all - Korean food, Thai food, Spring Roll's General Tsao's chicken, Indian food, pho, beef noodle soup - twice, Shwarma......yeah, I wasn't kidding about the eating out part. :) On the good side, I managed to see 3 out of the 5 movies nominated for Best Picture (Brokeback Mountain, Crash, and Munich) so I guess it's all good......
I had meant to write earlier - I had Tibetan food for the first time! Pretty yummy. Kind of like a mix between Indian and Chinese food. My favourite dish there was called 'Free Tibet'. It's basically dumplings surrounded by Chinese chow mein (think about that for a second and you'll get it.) My Chilean friend also took me to eat empanadas for the first time. Very yummy. And I got to try some Aboriginal dishes for the first time this past week too. I'm telling you, maple butter is my new favourite dish that is so good you don't care how bad it is for you.
That's what I really like about Toronto. In the States, eating out would always be a pain because people were so picky. We'd inevitably end up getting Italian food because that would be the only thing everyone could agree on. Not like here where people are at least open to trying new food (as my friends who "accidentally" ate chicken feet can attest to) or are forced to try new food - and then find out to their surprise that they may actually like it. I love being able to ask all my friends, whether they're Chinese or not, whether they'd like to join me for Chinese New Year dinner and have all them say yes. I love being with people from different cultures and learning about their food cultures.
I was talking to my brother the other day and my jaw just about fell to the floor when he told me that he now eats Indian food, on top of Japanese/Korean/Thai/and mediterrean cuisine. You have to understand, this is someone who grew up only eating Chinese food and hamburgers. Seriously, he was the pickiest person I ever knew. He would NEVER, and I emphasize, NEVER try new food. We once went to this very pricey buffet at this very nice hotel, and all he ate were the potatoes. I am unfortunately, not exaggerating. So for him to be trying anything beyond meat, potatoes, and Chinese food is absolutely shocking. This admission actually managed to render me speechless. I know, you didn't think this was possible. Believe me, neither did I.
I guess that's what's great about living here. There's so much variety that people just grow up eating all these different things. And when you move here, you're surrounded by people who love eating all these different things. So when you go out with your friends, you're left with the choice of either trying something at this new restaurant, or going hungry. And then, like my brother, you find to your surprise, that you actually like all these new things.
That may be one of my best Toronto stories yet. Of course it's about food - all my best stories are. :)