Sunday, March 12, 2006

And with the end, comes a new beginning

So, there's a little under a month before classes end, forever. We just had our graduation party last night, good times, but wow, I know I keep on saying this but it really doesn't feel like it's been three years. My insomnia has gotten worse lately because I keep on waking up with panic attacks at the realization that I'm almost done. It's like my conscious refuses to acknowledge it, yet my subconconsious is all too aware that the end is approaching very rapidly.

Why am I sad? Well, a lot of my friends will be scattering over North America come the end of classes. One of my good friends will be in Ottawa and it looks very likely that another one of my good friends will be in Vancouver. I guess part of me remembers undergrad too. It's only been 5 years but I've already started losing touch with some of my friends, good friends, people that I used to hang out with all the time. I guess it's inevitable, life starts getting in the way, people start getting busy, you see less and less of someone until one day, you realize they're not a part of your life anymore.

I'm sad at the knowledge that despite all the good memories and times that I had, they will slowly fade away, until all I have are the photographs capturing certain, but not all, the snapshots of the last three years of my life. I know there will be more good times ahead of me, but it's always hard letting go of something that's been part of your life for so long. Yes, the road to the end of law school has been rocky and quite tortuous at times. But there has also been so much laughter - more than enough to balance the pain and the tears.

I'm sad that things will never be the same again. We'll go our separate ways. We'll never be one group again. People will fall out of the circle, to be replaced with new people, I'm sure. But this circle, the one that got me through the past three years, won't ever be whole again.

Some people come into our lives and quickly go.
Some people stay a while and leave footprints on our hearts,
And we are never the same.
Thank you for stepping into my life...