Saturday, December 30, 2006

How did it come to this?

Apparently, the fact that I didn't have to work on Christmas Eve or Christmas makes me an anomaly among many of my friends. One of my friends pulled an all-nighter, along with working until 2-3am in the week & a half leading up to Christmas, my other friend worked until 5am, slept an hour, and went back to work every day for the past week, which culminated in an all-nighter, yet another friend msged me on Christmas....when he was still at work at 11pm West Coast time, and yet another friend had to go into the office on Christmas Eve.

What happened to all of us?!? How did we go from partying and not going to class, to being stuck at the office ALL the time? I thought the point of getting advanced degrees was so we wouldn't have to spend our entire lives at the office.

It's so incredibly sad how this is beginning. I think most of them realize that they will leave eventually, but I wonder how many will get sucked into the money and just resign themselves to the lifestyle. Or how many will actually succeed in finding something better.

It's so interesting that we're all in this point of transition. No one is currently in something that they know they want to be doing, some of us don't even know what city we'd like to be in yet. I wonder where we'll all be ten years from now? Will things have changed at all? Or will I still be getting emails from people who are still in the office at 5am?