Monday, December 04, 2006

O Christmas Tree

I came home after having a horribly crappy day (my alarm didn't go off, so I woke up an hour late, then discovered I lost my metropass while out running errands) to come home to a Christmas tree! A real one too! I mentioned it to my brother in passing the other day, ended up buying a poinsettia instead, but this totally made my day. He was at IKEA with his girlfriend & they even picked up the ornaments and stuff.

Even though I've now been wandering this earth for twenty-seven years, this is the first time I've ever had a real live (non-artificial) Christmas tree. Will need to start baking gingerbread cookies this weekend so I can hang them on the tree as decorations. (And so I can eat a couple everyday when I walk past it. :)

I don't know why but I've always LOVED the holidays. I love the cheesy carols, the food, the shopping, the receiving of gifts, just something about this time of year makes me just so, happy. This season is extra special too since it's the first time I can truly enjoy it - it's the first time in years that the beginning of December hasn't been filled with crazy cramming for upcoming finals. I'm also looking forward to the arrival of three friends, who'll be in town visiting.

Not that I don't realized the holidays aren't good for everyone. I've been running a holiday food drive at my firm, as the food banks particularly need donations at this time of year. Two people close to me are also suffering from depression. So I definitely know that the holidays don't automatically equal happiness for everyone.

But for now, I'll just enjoy the fact that I can put my Christmas cds in constant rotation for at least a few more weeks.