Friday, July 23, 2004

I heart shopping

Went shopping yesterday.   Went to this area near 'embassy street', which is pretty much self-explanatory.  I wanted to go check out the Canadian embassy too, but apparently we're not allowed to go in without an appointment?  Like there's a Chinese 'gong an' or police office stationed outside who won't let you in unless someone comes out to get you.  The guy was really nice about it and actually spoke pretty good English.  But I was kinda surprised they were so strict about it......oh well......

Back to my shopping, I went to this market (which I can't remember the name of) that sold some touristy stuff.  I ended up buying a scarf and bargained it down from 120 yuan to 20 yuan.....I got one of my friends a watch for 20 yuan (the original price was 180) too.  Damn...I'm good.  =)  I wasn't impressed by some of the other stuff though, I went to a better market last time I was in Beijing (3 years ago) and plan to hit that place tomorrow.  Will let you know how I do........