Wednesday, August 04, 2004

Remember to ask for the price BEFORE you order it...

Funny story: Some of my classmates decided to go to Shanghai over the weekend. My younger brother and I were a little worried that they might get into trouble (since it's their first time in China and they're a little 'green' about things) but we figured it'd be alright. Turns out, they decided to have dinner at the Peace Hotel - one of the most famous landmarks in Shanghai. For reasons only they can completely understand, they decided to go to the restaurant on the top floor and order lobster and fish. Apparently, these dishes were not on the menu (and hence no price was listed) but even this did not set off any warning bells. Any guesses as to how much they paid? (Again, to give you a point of reference, a bowl of beef noodles in China costs 5 yuan.) Turns out the final bill was 2,500 yuan, which I believe is enough to feed a family of four for an entire year in some places..... Well, I think at least that's a lesson they'll remember for ever....

Not as funny story: I have finally had the 'chance' to experience another authentic travelling in China item, 'la tu zi'. For those of you who don't know what it is, be very happy that you don't. Ugh. Apparently everyone in my group has experienced it at some point since they arrived here. So, I guess it's another one of those China-bonding experiences - only someone who has travelled here can completely understand your pain......

Another random story: decided to take the bus over the weekend. I actually found it better than the subway. Both things aren't air-conditioned, but my campus is far enough out of town that I can usually get a seat. Plus when you sit on a bus, you get to see a lot more of the area. For example, you see a lot of the traditional hutongs and new high rise buildings as you bump across the city. I still think Beijing's not as nice of a city as Shanghai though. Beijing's definitely got the history element down pat, with all these palaces located in the city and all. But I think Shanghai is more of a cosmopolitan feel. Beijing just gives me this very 'confused' vibe, like how it's a city that's thousands of years old, that has modern structures right next to other places that have been standing longer than many countries have been in existence. On one of my bus rides back, I saw something that totally epitomizes this feeling - right next to a multi-story Chinese traditional pagoda, was a smokestack. Need to go back someday and take a picture of that before I leave.......